Friday, September 30, 2011

Three states..One Day

Departed from Williamsburg (JGG) at 9:25 am. Beautiful clear blue sky..what a treat. Passed Richmond VA 15 minutes later flying at 3,500 and outside air temp a comfortable 65 degrees.

At 10:25 spotted the first non-flat land - hills and then mountains. Later learned these were the Appalachians. I flew over and among them, snapping photos and marveling at their beauty, so different from, and yet as wonderful as those I've enjoyed in the Northwest.

My first goal for today was Huntington WV to land at Tri-State airport (HTS), but just past Ingalls (HSP) and Moomaw Lake, both in VA...

I passed into WV and spotted Greenbrier Valley (LWB) in Lewisburg WV. This airport, nestled beautifully among the mountains was too good to pass up - it became my spot to add WV to the map. Also my spot to switch from shorts to jeans - 54 on the ground. I add cabin heat on departure and its welcome as outside temp is under 50 at 3,000.

From there to the Ohio River, I was surprised at the number of mines...I assume coal... that were often 3-4 in view at one time.

The rest of the countryside was treed with steep river gullies, valleys and peaks. Farms are tucked into green clearings. Fall color is beginning to show and I suspect will be amazing in just another couple weeks...wish I could be here to see it.

Approaching the Charleston area ceilings lowered from 7,000 to 4,500 and rain squalls started. For the next 60 nm I flew around and through rain squalls, with visibility remaining at 5 miles or more, but sometimes going to 3 for short spurts. Spotting the Ohio River, I crossed over, flying from WV to OH to KY within minutes! Here is Huntington, WV.

Landing at Ashland at 1:25 - yes those are raindrops.


I take a break, order fuel ($5.45) and check weather ahead. The heavy winds continue in Indiana, just 228 miles ahead - but tomorrow, Saturday, is supposed to be clear and much calmer so I decide to spend the afternoon and evening in KY.

Judy welcomed me, listened to my tales of travel, provided a courtesy van and map. Thanks for everything, Judy!

I Poked around the area for a bit then dinner at Ruby Tuesdays - lobster, shrimp and crab cakes with fresh green beans and cheese/herb biscuits, all perfectly prepared and washed down with blackberry lemonade.

I sit here at in a second floor room with a close view of a wooded hill and meadow with a feeding doe...calm and private... I can leave the curtains open.. and I thought dinner was the perfect end to a good day of flying. I can see the skies clearing already for my morning departure.

5 comments:

  1. You're so close! Will you be passing nearby tomorrow? I can try and meet you somewhere near Dayton/Cincy and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non-flat land - I love that. Those are the only mountains I knew when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,
    I'll send you an email this am. Now 7:15 in KY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont you love the Appalachians??? I backpacked 80 miles of that terrain and let me tell you its TOUGH and ROUGH country! AND its full of the spirit--of Mother Earth!! The southern Appalachians and the Southern Blue Ridge is where I do my waterfall hikes...IF You are coming BACK down this way (I know you said you may hit FL) check in with me the weekend of the 14th....ILL even have a spare bedroom by then!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great progress! We landed at Ashland this past summer, also as a weather diversion. It seemed like a nice place - as it turned out, we did not stay longer than needed for a pit stop and a look at the weather radar.

    ReplyDelete