Monday, September 12, 2011

Observations on Texas

What I know of this state I gleaned from movies and novels. I’d never been here before. At the end of day 2.5 I’ve learned some new things and had a few old beliefs reinforced.

Old
They really do say “Ya-All”.
Very proud of their State.
A state with many fewer rules and regulations than say, Washington.
There are no cowboys. I always pictured them walking around everywhere..sigh.

New
Hill country does have hills and it is beautiful.
This is NOT cattle country. I saw huge herds of…goats. Yes, goats! Saw maybe 15 cattle in two days.
Rivers and creeks very seldom have any water in them.

The Killing Fields
Many ranches here are “hunting camps.” Huge tracts of land with 12 -15 foot fences behind which are herds of grazing animals referred to as “exotics”. I’m pretty sure I saw Springbok, and definitely Thompson Gazelles behind those fences. Visited the web site of one of these places and learned they offer many of the herd animals seen in Africa including zebra and wildebeest. They have pictures of the proud hunters posing with their victims. Each picture includes the fee to “hunt” that animal. Thompsons $4,500 and up. Springbok only $3,500 and up. The hunting is done from jeeps driven down smoothly paved roads, or from blinds as the animals eat from their feeding stations nearby. Yes, I have strong opinions about this sport as I do not consider it sport at any level. Nor would I call it hunting.

On the cheerful side is a unique sculpture and art gallery that sits on acres of winding roads through the hills near Johnson City . All they ask is that you stop at the office which houses indoor sculpture and paintings, to sign the guest book. They refused any donation and three of the artists were there to answer questions and humbly accept our enthusiastic comments on their work.
Turbulence

Higher Education

Aspiration
Fredricksburg was/is a German community.During the 1800’s the farmers lived so far out that when they came into town on Sunday’s they made an entire day of it. Those with means, built small houses called “Sunday Houses.” They would stay in them overnight Saturday or Sunday, have a place for babies and children to take naps and to visit with other farmers. Many of these homes are still to be seen. This one is from 1851.

Caliche.
This is a native stone that is extremely popular for facing buildings, building fences and gate posts. Here is an example.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting observations. Having lived in Texas many years ago, I was not aware of many of the parts of Texas that I have since had a chance to visit. I think it is a great state, bit not without its faults.

    Even thought I was a hunter for many years, so of the practices in the state are not very sporting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like that's not one of the parts of Texas that is either burning or drying up and blowing away. Although maybe that's why there's no water in the rivers. I was also appalled by those hunting camps. That's like shooting fish in a barrel. And I have no problem with real hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Texas, Make sure to see the Alamo then you seen everything worth seeing.Been there, I thought it was to hot, In February. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. "hunting"camps....no hunting involved in that set up, sad to read this.

    On a brighter note I really like the look of the native stone on the building. The Engineer in me is always facinated by building materials and local construction practices.

    ReplyDelete