Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Alamo

While here in Virginia, I'm visiting with my niece and her 6-month-old twins. Also getting reaquainted with my grand nephew who just turned seven. So, since there are no exciting adventures to report will take this opportunity to fill in earlier events.

September 12th.
With visions of heroes bravely defending I walked through the busy streets of downtown San Antonio seeking The Alamo. Downtown? Surrounded and dwarfed by modern structures – there it was. A stone structure with the familiar shape, but so small. It seemed not quite right that a place with so large a place in history, should stand dwarfed and unimposing.

But as I stood there across a small plaza the import of what happened here pushed the modern city aside and I saw - THE Alamo.

There is no charge to tour any part of the Alamo and surrounding structures such as the barracks. There are many artifacts, and a lot of history all presented with as much information as you wish to take in.


Another attraction in San Antonio is Riverwalk. A place that feels much like Venice, complete with river boats that while not gondolas, at least provide a similar experience. My friend and I stopped along the river to relax with ice cream while listening to a pan pipe group from South America.

I must mention also the Menger Hotel, a beautiful old building a bit changed from its original look when it opened in 1859. Visited by presidents, movie stars and other dignitaries and long the most popular overnight spot in Texas. It also claims to be “the most haunted hotel in Texas” with 32 entities wandering about.

2 comments:

  1. Six month old twins - I can't even imagine that. Is your neice going crazy? I'm sure she's happy to see you. You know I had the same impression of the Alamo. At first sight it was so small. But you're right and I soon forgot that in the history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there on a pass from basic training at Lackland AFB. I doubt it has changed much. One of the best parts of Texas. Dave

    ReplyDelete