Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Both Sides of the USA






Went to the beach today, Virginia Beach. A tourist area that post-season is quiet, almost eerily so. Rows of shops full of cheap tourist gee-gaws, empty but for bored employees. But I didn’t come to shop, I came to put feet into the Atlantic Ocean. So that is what I did. Now I've waded in both oceans - on each side of the Continent.

Surprise! The water is not cold. Not quite as warm as Hawaii, but darn close. I could have comfortably swam, and wished I’d known it was possible since the day was perfect for it with sunshine and a soft breeze – probably low eighties.

This little guy was busily cleaning up anything edible from the surf’s edge…fellow blogger Sondra has inspired me to try for bird photos and finally I got one worth posting!

My sweet tooth that demands ice cream led me to this spot. A long row of self-serve spigots labeled with flavors then a longer row of toppings - fresh fruit, cookie bits, crushed candy bars, nuts, etc. If you’ve ever heard or thought about putting it on ice cream – this place had it. Cost? Just 45 cents per ounce. Somehow I managed to pile on $6.26 cents worth. Sure was good, try it if you see the store.

Both ways we had to drive through this tunnel, which goes UNDER a body of water strangely called Hampton Roads. Do not care much for tunnels. Never been in a tunnel under water..didn’t like the idea. Positive that roof above our heads was bulging downward. I told my niece that “just one drop of water on the windshield and your going go to have an out of control adult on your hands.” She found it uproariously funny. Not. Did I mention it was miles long? Well, it was. But on the way back, I was better prepared so took a photo..(see the bulge?)

Happy once again, to have made it through Hampton Roads Beltway – alive, I spot the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

For the entire drive military was very much in evidence. I saw ships at dock at Naval Station Norfolk, but too far away for a photo. Lots of fighters passing over Virginia Beach heading out to sea, two by two. A lovely airshow. I'm guessing they came from either Langley Air Force Base or Felker Army Air Field as both are nearby. Lots of Chinooks buzzing about too. This area is heavily military with housing and forts and bases at every turn. My nephew is stationed here in the Navy on one of the big air craft carriers. What isn't military is historical and I'll tell about that later.

2 comments:

  1. This almost looks like home to me. I have visited here many times, as this is where my sister lived. My nephew and brother-in-law still live here. That tunnel is not for anyone with claustrophobia. It freaked me out. I love the beach there with the statue of Nautilus (?) rising from the sea.
    Enjoy for me...........

    ReplyDelete