Friday, September 16, 2011

Ramped, Clouded and Welcomed

Thursday AM.
Ready to depart from Picayune, MS. With a major reminder of Washington the fog has moved in and I wait. Andy (The airport manager) and Dianna the office manager ask the usual question "Where are you from?" With the help of a handy US wall map I point out my starting point in WA and my route through the south, up the coast, and across to MN. They made the mistake of talking aviation, so I told them many of my stories and about my flying adventures from the past. Next thing I knew Andy had called the local newspaper and a reporter arrived to interview me and take pictures. 15 minutes of fame.

10:30. Finally! Holes! I'm pre-flighting and a man approaches, thinking he is just been sent out to meet me, I greet him and am surprised when he reaches out his hand and flips open a wallet...displaying a shiny gold shield! That wallet flip was just like in the movies, he must have practiced to get it so good. I was being ramp checked! The look on his face was priceless when I responded with "Oh boy! I'm being Ramped!" For those who are not pilots, let me clue you in - being ramped is a thing to be feared. The FAA can ground a plane or pilot for many reasons. This man required that I show him my pilots license, proof of current medical, and a variety of paperwork for the plane - registration, certification, etc. He then walked around the plane for an inspection. Should he have found anything amiss at any point - the trip would be been over or seriously delayed. I cheerfully provided all that was required and exalted in having, finally, after 8 years of holding it, having the opportunity to show my license.

Leaving MS I planned to go to Florida, but flying over the top out did not find predicted clear skies to the east, so I abandoned FL and turned northward into Alabama. Found some good holes and under I went - finding myself lower than would be prudent in places with hills, so I landed at the first airport I reached in Elba, AL - Foley field 14J. Met by the nicest bunch of southern gentlemen who could not believe my desire to stay in their pilot lounge for the night. I think the need to provide hospitality was making them crazy. I however, being a veteran of pilot lounges enjoyed the free accommodations and an opportunity to relax and read..no internet available though my Android tried and tried.

Friday AM.
I succumbed to an invitation to go to breakfast at a local cafe where I enjoyed good conversation, grits and biscuits. Yes,grits are very good.

My breakfast companion, TJ and his adorable dog, Slim.

Slim is ready to go!

Lifted off at 9:30, after taking time for a long walk. Saw tons of green and growing and did not recognize a single plant and the only familiar tree a pine. The dirt at Folsom is red, just under a layer of white beach sand. Lots of these ant hills with red ants the same color as the dirt and very tiny. Looked a lot like home, at first but the differences are there in plenty.



Folsom Field

My next stop is Molton 06A, in Tuskegee, AL. Arrived at 10:20. Molton field is where the airmen learned to fly. Piloting my own Path onto that ground was a feeling I cannot find words to describe. Again, I was greeted like a missing relative and told to "make myself at home." I know I've mentioned this a lot, but the level of welcome here in the south is worth expounding upon. The museum doesn't have much in the way of things, but the telling of the story is done imaginatively and with recordings of the actual pilots, instructors and mechanics. The museum is housed in the old original hangar and again, I felt moved to walk where those long ago young men and women did.

On to Atlanta, Georgia, Fulton County Field FTY. To be honest, I was a bit apprehensive to fly into this highly congested area, not being at all familiar. Atlanta approach was accommodating, and Fulton appeared out of the clutter of buildings, roads, river and a huge amusement park as if highlighted. I noted that for the first time in days, there are small mountains, well hills, but easily visible above surrounding terrain. Touchdown 1:00 pm. Weather is cool, I'll be wearing jeans tomorrow. Hate to admit it but I'm ...missing rain! Will be here in Atlanta for the weekend at least, exploring this city that from what I've seen so far, is going to be an eyeful.

3 comments:

  1. I think you're the first person I've talked to who's actually been ramp checked in the last ten years. Glad you were well prepared! More color for a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have was never ramped checked, but I was called to the office a few times:( I recall one of the more serious discussion was about buzzing cows and trains. I guess that was during my rebellious period:)

    But on the other hand everyone had a bit more sense of humor all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Way on the other side of the world! I loved my visit to that side of the world--the food was incredible! Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete