Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Double Your Fun



It’s true. Every word of this post.

For those of you who don’t know, my name is Joyce Rust. Since Saturday I’ve been a guest in the Indiana home of Joyce Rust. Note the word “guest.” That means exactly what it seems. . . there are two of us.

Two years ago I Googled myself (it was all the rage) and discovered that I owned a grass airport in Indiana. What a nice surprise, I’d always wanted one! Maybe a year later I looked for this Joyce on Facebook – and there she was. We exchanged a couple messages, moved to email and started to learn a little about each other. I renamed us “Joyce West” and “Joyce East”.

When I learned Joyce East is also a pilot…and flies a Cessna, I knew we had to meet and that someday I would land on her grass strip. Saturday I did. Well technically I arrived over the strip, circled fruitlessly for over 10 minutes and flew to the nearby town airport. Ever try to find a grass strip in farm country? Every other field looks good to land on, the farm buildings look like hangars.

Joyce is a wonderful person who has made me feel like family. We’ve had fun watching people’s faces when I’m introduced. “Hello. I’d like you to meet my friend, Joyce Rust.”
“Your joking, right? “ “Nah, you got to be making this up.”

Yesterday Joyce East flew me to town, after circling a couple times to point out landmarks so I could find the field. Two hours later I fulfilled my goal to set down on Rust Landing.

Our similarities grow with every conversation. From simple things like food preferences to our way of approaching challenges. I believe I’ve found a lifetime friend.




6 comments:

  1. How amazing! What are the chances that you would have so much in common? Since I have a rediculously common name, googling doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cool! I might have to fly up there and visit one day. Looks like a nice little strip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER imagine that!! Looks like a great spot to visit too, and her own landing strip..wow.
    Well if you get back here in the next couple of weeks give me a shout I have my weekends free for the next little while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a story....very cool! Hope you both enjoy the visit. That's one landing you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete