Sunday, September 11, 2011

Yee Haw!

Spent Saturday discovering Bandera Texas, Cowboy Capital of the World.
Could hardly wait to see them cowboys. Visions of denim and leather and boots and hats. Oh My!
Saw this one, and the cowgirl with him. Everyone else was like me, a tourist.

Even without eye candy, this was a fun town with rows of shops to wander through. Lots of southwest and cowboy themed items. This shop had piles of pottery, ironwork, serapes, etc.

Several places offered "cowgirl bling". It must be an in thing - never saw so many rhinestone studded jeans, hats, purses, belts, shirts in my life! The gals wearing it must be strong just to move with that much hardware on board.

Bandera is the county seat, and to me this courthouse said Texas, not to mention the iron work on every light pole.

We parked in the free public lot behind a small public plaza. Here I am posing in front of the mural walled bathrooms. Note that I just had to have a cowboy hat. I worried that it would hardly be appropriate to wear anywhere but Texas, but Carol assured me that if I could travel around the US in my plane, I could wear any hat I pleased.



Could not believe the luck in spotting these two vultures in the classic pose on a dead snag. Then add to that an entire flock feeding right alongside the road on our return trip. I tried to spot what they were eating, but the number of birds obscured all but one hair cover leg - might have been a deer.


Texas Hill Country is unique and beautiful and I'm seeing why people fall in love with this State. Temps stayed in the nineties and cooled in the evening to upper-seventies with a full moon and tons of stars.

Looking forward to what today will bring.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time in one of my favorite places on earth! Come back in April for the All-Singles Dance Rally. Did you go to the Cowboy Store? I tried to buy a cowboy there, but can you believe they didn't have any??? False advertising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so dry....nice pictures and sounds like a fun time exploring. Did you do any riding??

    ReplyDelete