Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Warning



Those male pilots who read this blog are hereby warned. Weather has been horrible. Then when the sun finally peeked out, fuel prices soared. Flying has not happened. This post is NOT about planes or flying. But check back – I’ll be back to aviation next time.



Welcome to those who are still here!



Part of the process of getting ready for retirement is the ongoing sorting, discarding and packing. Last week I went through my stack of crochet patterns and books. I don’t quite know how it happened, but the next thing you know I was going through every page. So many projects I’d been planning to make someday.
I realized it had been a long time since I'd taken up a hook, that I’d missed the creative challenge. Grandma taught me how to crochet when I was five and I’ve enjoyed the craft off and on ever since. Other interests grab my time and attention for years sometimes, but always crochet calls me back. This is the doily that I selected, picturing it on the bedroom nightstand. I’m so pleased with how it came out, and had so much fun in the process that I’ve started a new piece – filet crochet edging for kitchen curtains featuring a baby chick pattern.


I’ve spent a lot of hours watching HGTV. Love those shows about cleaning and fixing up a house to help it sell. Didn’t expect to sell my home, just enjoyed the shows. Now I’m putting that information to work and unfortunately am learning how those people felt. All the hard work, just for someone else. If you’ve been dreaming about some change, or upgrade and you can possibly afford it – do it NOW. Don’t regret it someday when you downsize or your new job is in another state and you’re making those improvements for some stranger to enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Cleaning up all the stuff before selling a home and starting a new life is an interesting process. I estimate we disposed of more than 6 to 7 tons of stuff. I only know that because our stuff was weighted every time it was moved.

    We found that instead of regret or sadness at the loss of stuff, it was liberating.

    Enjoy the process, if not the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now my pitiful crochet attempts seem even worse in comparison to yours. That is beautiful!
    When I see those HGTV shows, I wonder if the people are tempted to just stay there now that their place looks so great. One time, they did.

    Good luck on the sorting, packing, and improving. Here, we just packed it up and it is sitting in my garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now you will more than enough time to crochet lots of special projects!! WHAT a great job you did! I dont have a clue--- all I remember is the way my grammie used to starch hers and lay it up against coke bottles to dry with that wavy pattern in it...Loved watching her as she made her old farm house loveable..
    My sister in CO is selling her home..she never did as much fix up as she did this past month now her open house is behind her and she is waiting on the highest bid..THEN she has to find a new home!!
    Think of it as your path to freedom from HAVING to work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to crochet a lot too: waistcoats and ponchos and baby blankets. Can't wait to see the chick pattern crochet edging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! Can't wait to see the curtains!

    ReplyDelete