Thursday, April 21, 2011

Can I Brag - Just a Little?

Started flying (as chronicled on this blog) back in 2003. Began logging those precious hours. Every minute counted and was carefully noted. Then sometime after the first book was full, I set a goal – 1,000 hours. Started the second logbook and then came the day when I knew one more flight was all I needed to reach the magic number.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Weather was what I call “flyable” and forecasted to improve. I needed 2 more hours. Decided a flight south to Lebanon, OR (S30) would be just about right, and I could fill up on cheap fuel at the same time.



There is a strange thing that happens to time when a pilot gets near an airplane or just an airport, for that matter. Time flies. Really it does.

I left for the airport around 2:00 pm, preflighted, pulled the plane out and lifted up into what had now become clear blue skies. The flight to Lebanon is one I’ve made many times so was routine, but flying is never dull. New things to see, no matter how many times you follow the same route. Total flight time from CLS to S30 is just over an hour (depending on winds, and if a diversion is required) Oh! Look! What’s growing in that field? Never saw that color before. I’ll circle back and take a closer look.

But on to my point about time. I landed at Lebanon on runway 34, taxied up for fuel, talked just a minute or so with the folks at the FBO and then off for home. Somehow it was almost 6:00 pm already! Where did that 4 hours go? Time Flew.

So now I’m heading back north and as I pass Hillsboro (HIO) I’m watching the clock closely. At EXACTLY 6:20 pm …

I’ve got 1,000 hours.

Interesting note is that I was right here ...


over Scappoose (SPB) which was the first airport I landed at, other than my home field. Circles. Life happens in circles.

Since then I’ve added almost 250 hours. Now that the big goal has been reached I’m not so attentive. Sometimes a flight here and there doesn’t make it into the log, but I still enjoy watching my time build, so try keep a tight rein on recording.




6 comments:

  1. Hey there, congrats on your 1000 hours, thats awesome. Hope you are having a good week :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is relative. It is amazing. Are you flying more as you get closer to retirement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! ITs a great feeling to achieve a goal --and you probably saw all sorts of cool things along the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I wanted to add, I LIKE your new page look its excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1000 hours in six years...impressive!

    "There is a strange thing that happens to time when a pilot gets near an airplane or just an airport, for that matter. Time flies."
    My wife calls this phenomenon "airport time" and its the reason why she always adds at least an hour to the time I tell her I'll be back home!

    ReplyDelete