Friday, April 22, 2011

Gray and Eagles

Continuing my mission (among many it seems) to give flights to senior citizens, I took two people up last weekend. This is Fred who was celebrating his 78th and Joan who arranged the flight to surprise Fred.

At 6:30 when I got up, the weather was perfect. Notice a theme here? Yes, pilots are obsessed with weather. I for one, get up and look out the window first thing every day. No, I’m not planning to fly, just going to work most days , but got to know if I could fly. So anyway, this day is good. At 8:30 I call Joan and arrange to meet her and Fred at the airport, but 11:30 is the earliest they can manage as Fred has slept in and has chores to do first. This amazing man still runs a small 80 acre farm, singlehandedly.

By the time 11:30 arrives, so have the clouds. Not totally overcast, but the mountains to the east are obscured and a flight west to the Ocean is out due to rain and increasing winds. Those being the two top choices for scenic flights.

It’s safely flyable so I take them south to see the Columbia River and “go to Oregon.”

On the way, we make a few circles trying to spot Fred’s farm, always a popular pastime of passengers. I’m really careful though, as low circling flight can be difficult on tummies. Stomach acid is hell on planes.

These two really don’t care where we go as long as we’re flying – my kind of people! Joan is excited and talkative, Fred nearly mute. He shares his home with Judy, as hers was damaged in the flood of 2009 to the point that the city won’t allow her to live there without extensive repairs which a fixed income won’t cover. Of course homeowners won’t cover floods, and she had no flood insurance as her home is in an area that has NEVER before flooded, so why would she? I know this because Judy talked non-stop during the entire flight and that gave me a strong clue as to Fred’s silence.

Down here along the river near Kelso (KLS) we spotted an unusual group of vehicles and people along this spit. Circled back to get a photo and try to figure out “what are they doing?” No clue but sure a lot of cars on the beach.

Red circle is the spit.

As you can see, in the background here, there are patches of rainfall. We avoided them without problem and my passengers were delighted to “see rain without getting wet.”

I thoroughly enjoyed these people and had to get firm with them in refusal of payment. They could not believe that all I wanted was a smile and a hug. But that is the price listed on the Grey Eagle flyers I pass out, and I’ll not allow otherwise.

Climbing onto the Soap Box

Joan is forced to “depend on the kindness of strangers”. She has paid taxes and been a productive citizen all her life. Now that she needs help, there is none for her. Yet, she continues to pay taxes on her meager income. She expressed anger at the help that goes to lazy young people who drive nice cars and have cell phones while collecting from the government. I cannot blame her, and would see it otherwise.

Hey Chris - "Airport Time" that is the perfect term. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. That is so great to take them for a ride. I still remember being able to take my 80++ grandmother for her first ( and only) airplane ride ever. She loved it!

    You have given them a really great life experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow must be great to give such a gift!!!
    What burns my @ss is big corporations dont pay Federal TAX, yet their employees have to...and the Wealthy dont pay their share thanks to the Bush Tax Cuts and the Loop Holes of the Rich n Famous so the lower and middle class hold up the tax burden...while the richer Americans buy a summer home and people like Joan cant rebuild her only--Has she tried Habitat for Humanity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: "Airport Time": glad to be of service!

    I love that confused look people get when I refuse payment for a flight. Sharing the experience with happy people who are now just a little more aware (and, hopefully, tolerant) of GA is payment enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thrill for them and kudos to you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is so wonderful that you fly and also enjoy taking people up in your plane also, thats great :o)

    ReplyDelete