Friday, January 22, 2010

Southwest Solo

2008. I heard about an airpark in Salome Arizona selling lots cheap. Having become seriously sick and tired of fog, rain and flooding in Washington, a place in the sun sounded mighty good. Several weeks later the plan was in place. I had reserved a room, and arranged for the local dealership to leave a car at the airport in Wickenburg (E25) just a short distance from Salome. A real estate agent was poised to show me several available airpark properties in the general Wickenburg area. Making this trip serve several purposes, I planned a visit to family in Salt Lake and a tourist stop at Bryce Canyon (BCE) on my way south.

Since western Washington weather can be fickle (morning fog) I departed Friday night when it was clear and sunny, making Grant County Regional (GCD) my stop for an overnight in the pilot lounge.



This got me over the Cascades and into good weather from where I made a dawn departure for Salt Lake #2 (U42).
This airport has now been, thankfully, renamed to South-Valley Regional which is considerably less confusing. A typical in-pattern call used to be “# 2 Traffic, This is 1234Tango entering the 45 for a left downwind for 34, I’ll be #2 in the downwind, #2.”
The Great Salt Lake and Nephi Valley.

My visit with family was cut short by an unexpected weather change,
so I left for Bryce in the afternoon thus suffering a great deal of turbulence. At Bryce the wind was 22 knots gusting to 28, but fortunately right down the runway. Base leg was daunting, landing unexpectedly good. The FBO guy greeted me on the Unicom immediately and came out in the wind to help me secure the plane. I arranged for an overnight at a local spot (Bryce Canyon Pines). They will come and pick you up, just like Ruby’s Inn, but their prices are MUCH lower and the place is peaceful and quiet. Their on-site restaurant offers great home-style meals and delicious pie. Unfortunately I ended up staying 2 nights as wind continued to blow so hard I feared for my planes safety so asked the hotel manager to drive me out to check. Thankfully she was fine, though dancing in the wind and rain, tugging at her tie downs.

Wednesday morning my dawn departure still featured some wind and predicted possible areas of clouds or storms. The air was rough enough that my plan to soar over Bryce Canyon
for some photos was reduced to one quick pass. South over the Grand Canyon was breathtaking. VFR flights must stay at 10,500 or 12,500 and cross within specific corridors, but this didn’t prevent me from seeing and photographing some amazing sights. I had to divert more than once on the way to avoid clouds. At one point, slipping between systems, snow appeared. I looked down and saw the fronts of my tires turning white and spent considerable time trying to see if my wings or struts were accumulating ice (white on white – I could not tell!) Here I was over the Grand Canyon with nothing flat anywhere. I must admit that I was seriously concerned. The entire series of events from snow to no-more snow and bright sunshine was just a few minutes, but seemed much longer. Finally south past the Canyon, I made a quick bathroom stop at Seligman (P23) AZ and still wonder if that sudden need had anything to do with snow and fear of ice…probably so!

Wednesday afternoon landed at Wickenburg and called the agent. We agreed to meet at Western Sky Airpark, so I took to the air. Following two drops of a 100 feet, and wind so bad that staying upright was questionable, I decided flying was NOT an option. Truly enjoyed the 50 mile drive to Salome, seeing saguaro cactus for the first time. The airpark didn’t work out (no need to go into details) but I fell in love with Wickenburg. A medium sized town with good basic services, a western feel, and just 45 minute drive out of Phoenix. Unfortunately Arizona didn’t live up to its reputation of sunshine. It rained so hard my stay was again extended due to weather. I’ve lived 57 years in Washington and am familiar with rain, but not Arizona rain.
It went from sunshine to streets like rivers in minutes. Gutters overflowed creating waterfalls. I’d never seen anything like it. Not good for flying, but between downpours I explored the town, and surrounding area – enjoying what I found, and vowing to figure out a way to become a “Snowbird.”

Saturday. Finally weather cooperated and I headed NW for home. Past Lake Havasu, stop at Jean (0L7) NV for fuel where a weather check changed my planned route up the east side of the Sierra’s to the southwest instead. The entire Sierra range was clouds and rain and snow. I should note here that this trip took place in late May. I did not expect snow! I followed highway 15 past Barstow, then west to Rosamond, CA (L00) for fuel. Clouds were piled up on the hills to the west, but I took a chance on climbing over the top as the briefer had indicated plenty of holes and good ceilings in the valley past Bakersfield. After flying over the top for an hour and seeing no sign of holes I called the briefer and was told “the only holes I can now see are those back where you came from”. Back to Rosamond. No facilities but a bathroom, and wind so strong that putting up a tent was impossible. I settled in, reading until dark then spending the night in my sleeping bag. High winds had Isabo dancing all night and Cessna 172’s are not comfortable beds, but fortunately I’m able to sleep anywhere.

Sunday. Happy for morning and to be on my way. I flew over the top again, but this time the holes appeared and I was in the clear at Paso Robles (PRB) where I shared the pattern with not one, but two beautiful Stearman bi-planes. Weather check indicated lowering ceilings in central California but the coast was open so I’m off to the northwest past Salinas and then north.

King City
The coast was beautiful, the flying smooth until just south of San Francisco where ceilings began to lower. I had no problem staying under class B space! Clouds appeared to rise at the entrance to San Francisco Bay so I turned east spotting the Golden Gate Bridge. Wait! Clouds are sitting on top of the bridge, I cannot go under, and over puts me into Class B. Just as I’m about to turn back to my alternate, the clouds slip off to the north and I glide right over the bridge, barely maintaining proper altitude above structures…whew! Here I am flying past San Francisco, taking pictures of Alcatraz and the Bay Bridge. I’d lived here briefly in the early 70’s never dreaming that someday I’d be flying in those skies.

Determined to go north, I found a good opening and made it to Petaluma (O69) where I added fuel and again checked weather ahead. Now the coast is closed in, but I can turn back into the valley where I fly north basically following I-5. Again flying is smooth and I’m seeing new country and spotting airports along the way. It’s not until I pass Redding (RDD) and the Lake Shasta area that clouds and lowering ceilings reappear. I’m familiar with Montague (1O5) so landed there in pouring rain and rapidly diminishing visibility. Safe on the ground, I waited for weather improvement, eventually realizing that I’d be spending the night in their ever so convenient pilot bunkhouse.


A note here on Montague-Yreka airport. It’s a great “old time” airfield. Dave, the airport manager, is warm, welcoming, accommodating and a great guy. Every Saturday morning his wife, Christine, makes fresh homemade cinnamon rolls for any pilots who might be dropping in – and they do! The bunkhouse offers two beds, comfy recliners and TV. There is a bath with shower as well. For a stopover or a weather-in, I cannot recommend this place highly enough. It’s not fancy but you are made to feel like one of the family. I ended up spending three nights there waiting for the Siskiyou Mountains to clear. Dave provided a hangar for Isabo, courtesy car, and even asked me to dinner at his home. Now that is service above and beyond.

















Looking north toward Siskiyou Mts and driving
through, show why no fly!

Wednesday morning I gave in and rented a car, leaving Isabo behind. Disappointing, but having a flying trip end with a rental car is one of the things that VFR pilots need to be willing to do. While my story sounds like I pushed the envelope a few times on this trip, I was very careful to always have an alternate plan, another airport behind or in another direction to which I could deviate. I have established personal minimums and religiously adhere to them. Adventures are not fun if you end up dead.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing. So what do you think of Salome?
    It really doesn't rain like this very often.
    JoAnn
    www.salomeaz.com

    ReplyDelete