Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Meeting a Pilot

This past Sunday (Jan 10) the pilot and author Richard Bach was scheduled to speak at Out of the Blue Aviation at Arlington (AWO) airport. I’d been looking forward to meeting the man (and getting his signature on a few of his books) so awaking to flyable weather was a bonus. A friend of mine, Dick had volunteered to fly us up in his Red and White RV 6a. I’d not flown with Dick so was looking forward to the trip. While I love to fly my own plane best of all, it’s also good to ride with others to learn about their planes and pick up ideas on piloting from another perspective.

We left Chehalis at 10:30, heading northeast with ceilings at near 4000. Found a low layer south of Gray Air Force Base so Flew over the top until it opened up just as we approached Pierce County – Thun Field (PLU). Air was smooth, visibility more than 10 miles.

We stopped at Crest Field (S36) for a visit with friends and family. I hadn’t been into Crest since early 2004 and Dick used to fly out of this field so I appreciated his advice on spotting and approaching. I’ll be visiting here more often since meeting a lovely couple who lives on the field.

Back on our way north, Dick pointed out mountains he had climbed, and where on Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah) the hang gliders launch. We flew up the Carnation valley passing Harvey (S43) on our left and Monroe (W16) on our right. No one was coming or going at either field. Traffic picked up as we approached Arlington, a flock of 7 RV’s coming in just ahead of us. It always amazes me how often RV’s fly in brightly colored flocks .

There was a big crowd at Out of the Blue, both pilots and writers. I had brought along several books (Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Bi-Plane, The Ferrett Chronicles and A Gift of Wings) so qued up. Just as the author was visible and only 5 or 6 people ahead of me the time had arrived for him to speak.
Mr. Bach is an amazing story teller and I for one, could have listened to him for hours and hours. I do not believe I was alone in this. The crowd of about 150 hung on his every word often nodding in agreement. When asked questions about his barnstorming days or favorite warbird he transported us with him as he relived his adventures .

Unfortunately we had to leave early (3:00 pm) as Dick flies out of a short grass strip and he needed to get home well ahead of dark. With Dicks intervention, I did get two books signed so counted the trip a total success.

Our flight home included some occassional light chop – just enough to keep flying interesting. Dick let me handle the stick which was great fun. Those RV’s sure are responsive!

If you should ever get a chance to meet Richard Bach, take it, he’s a fascinating man. If you haven’t read any of his books – start with “A Gift of Wings”.

No comments:

Post a Comment