Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Grey Eagles

Some of you may be familiar with the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) and their Young Eagle program. This program is where pilots volunteer their time, skill and aircraft to introduce young people (ages 8-17) to the wonder of flight. I embraced this program and have now flown over 100 missions. That doesn’t include those I’ve taken up who didn’t meet EAA standards for YE flights. As much fun as it is to share aviation with the young, I discovered quite by accident that older folks are as much, or even more fun.

My first senior citizen passengers were two dear ladies (both over 80) who joined me at Hoquiam
field. I happened to be there to promote an event at Chehalis airport planned to honor Rosie the Riveters. I announced that any Rosie who wished to fly; I’d be honored to take. These two stood up as if bravely volunteering for combat. “That would be us. We will go.”

As I do with all first-timers, I explained about planes and what to expect and watched amazed as these two climbed into my 172 as if doing so all their lives. (For those who don’t know, climbing into a plane takes a bit of coordination, and physical ability) As we lifted off they bombarded me with excited questions. “Why are we going toward the ocean when we want to fly over town? Is it safe to fly over water? Oh, my. How high are we?” What a treat is was to comfort and educate these ladies who were ecstatic over every bit of knowledge and changing view. That was 2005.

Last Fall I started my Grey Eagle program with Grant, who at 91 also qualified as my oldest passenger.

As you can see by that smile, Grant enjoyed the flight.

Grey Eagles.
I’d like to say that the name is mine, but I borrowed it (with permission) from the man who makes sure my plane remains in the air, Wally.
It is my intention to fulfill the wishes or dreams of people over 70 who have never flown, or did long ago and want to relive those good memories. It is my plan to approach retirement and senior centers, starting this Spring, to present my program. We’ll see how it is received.

In case you’re wondering, why – it’s because I truly do believe that my purpose is to share my passion for flight with as many people as possible. Every time I fly someone’s grandmother or grandfather it’s an honorarium to mine who added so much to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment