Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Centennial of Women in Flight

100 years ago the first woman earned a pilot license - Baroness Raymonde de la Roche in France. A year later Harriet Quimby became the first woman pilot in the US. For those who are wondering Amelia Earhart obtained her license in 1922.

Since that first, women have gradually expanded their numbers and hold steady at a mere 6% of licensed pilots. As of 2009 there were 594,285 pilots in the United States, 36,808 of them women – roughly 6%.

As an aviatrix (I think that is such a cool word) I’m passionate about encouraging everyone to fly, but especially women. A sad thing about male pilots is how often their wives have no interest in or flatly refuse to fly with them. Here they are with this wonderful skill to view the world and explore it as few can, and the person they would most like to share it with stays on the ground.

Of course, I would like more women to become pilots, joining me in this sisterhood. But barring that, I want to help them appreciate the joy of flying. To do this I introduce the concept in a way, as a fellow woman, that often encourages them to try flight, sometimes becoming enthusiastic or at least willing to go more often.

Last December I flew woman and girls all afternoon as a part of a program called Fly it Forward. Some were excited, some fearful but brave, some reluctant but going on a dare from a friend. All came away with something. All left something behind too. I flew home with the remembered sounds of their surprise, joy and laughter the brightness of their smiles, giving me wings.

If you’ve ever thought you might like to fly, don’t put it off… go for it. Events are being held all over the country for Centennial of Women in Flight and Fly it Forward…find one near you. Then write and tell me all about your time in the air! Can't find a flight? Email me and I'll help you.

This young woman is learning about pre-flighting before we go up.





5 comments:

  1. ITs always more fun to share something you love to do with someone--Im always trying to drag my family around on hikes and camping and travel but most of the time I go alone-
    WOW you're in a very small group percentage wise--hat off to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that women were such a small percentage of pilots. Maybe because for so long it was the military which trained so many pilots?
    It is wonderful to hear such enthusiasm in your "voice" as you describe flying. It is great that you are passing this along to others, especially young women. I think I told you about my experience in a small plane years ago. Maybe it would be different if I were not with someone practicing stalls and takeoffs/landings?
    I might reconsider trying it again. Fly here sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its great that you fly your own plane but I have a huge fear of it and hope to never have to lol Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about at least enjoying the sites. One of the main reasons I stopped flying was a complete lack of interest in my otherwise all female family.

    In my four years doing flight instruction-basic and advanced, I did not have a female student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. too bad, Lynn - its the best high you can have.
    Chuck, Yes, you are the perfect example of what I was pointing out. Too bad, it truly makes me sad.
    RG

    ReplyDelete