Monday, February 28, 2011

Tribe Time



Another blogger I follow recently posted about his “Tribe.” I liked this. A tribe for wanderers; people who join together as family because they choose to do so. Then it came to me – I too belong to a tribe.

This past weekend a gathering was held in Puyallup WA. The Northwest Aviation Conference. Two days of everything aviation, except flying, as grey winter skies with snow showers grounded sensible folks. But if you cannot fly, then talking about, learning about, and buying equipment for flying is a decent substitute.

I'd driven to the home of a friend, Judy, who lives on an airstrip near the conference. Her hospitality made it possible to attend both days of the event. In a large building on the Fairgrounds, comfortably out of the weather, were booths offering services, equipment, parts, and wonderful wonderful (expensive) toys. I drooled happily over custom panels, plane covers, and glass panels. Groups were there to sign-up new members and tell about their programs. I talked to the Ninety-Nines, Angel Flight and the Recreation Aviation Foundation.

Both days a wide selection of seminars
offered, so many that I had to pick and choose which I wanted to attend most. Below is a video shown at a series of five seminars offered by Lori MacNichol, owner of McCall Mountain/Canyon Flying. This tiny blonde woman probably knows more about flying the back country of Idaho than anyone. She promotes her beloved Idaho and trains pilots to visit these strips so they come back alive. Think I’m exaggerating? Take a look at this video.



Who wants to come along?

The high point of the weekend was socializing with old friends and making new ones. Sat night there was a dinner at a local eatery with the Pacific Northwest Flying Forum. This is a great bunch of pilots that meet online to discuss, learn and share.

My Tribe are a wonderful bunch of Type A personalities!

4 comments:

  1. Fliers make a good tribe. I remember the good ole days when the Reading, Pa fly in was in full swing and you could camp under your wings. In addition to the air demonstrations, there was a whole lot of folks getting together to share the lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not believe that was a landing strip. What a challenge. No wonder it is the Type A personalities that are members of that tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well first of all I have to say I am impressed you are a pilot and even slightly interested in my poor blog LOL Thanks so much for visiting and leaving the nice comment and I cant wait to read about your travels. I hope you are having a nice day :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your nice comment. Your flying sounds like a fun adventure! Have a nice evening. :-)

    ReplyDelete