Friday, November 6, 2009

It all began...


A long time ago when as I child I would lay on the summer grass looking up into a circle of blue sky defined by evergreen tree tops and see planes passing over. I would wonder if someday I would be in or even fly such a plane - like Penny on Sky King.
A lot of life and years went by. I worked, married, raised children. Then a chance meeting with a pilot followed by a conversation with my husband changed my world. "Hey, Mike", I said. "I met the Sheriff's pilot today. Wouldn't flying be a wonderful way to make a living? I'd love to fly someday."
"We could probably afford for you to take lessons, why don't you look into it?"
He replied. Two weeks later, this 53 year-old grandmother lifted into the air in a Cessna 150, snugged into the cockpit with a CFI. (Certified Flight Instructor). It was an Introductory flight just to see if I would like it. Five minutes into the flight I knew, without any doubt whatsoever that I would become a pilot. No matter what it took. The joy and freedom and thrill of moving an aircraft around the sky with my own hands wasn't even diminished by the airsickness that arrived as my instructor took control and guided the plane back to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment