Sunday, August 21, 2011

Country Roads


Have you observed that when you’ve left something behind it suddenly becomes more precious? On my walks plant life that has simply been background now catches my eye as if seeing it for the first time. In places where man does not wage constant battle, the wild things create a solid wall of green. Green in every shade, shape and variety.

Along roadsides, grow blackberries in massive clumps going 10 feet high and yards deep. Late every summer they droop with sweet purple-black fruit. But not this year. As you can see from the zoomed inset, (bottom left)the berries are still hard green nubbins. I fear it will be a tough fall for the animals that count on this food source unless there is a long Indian Summer.

Another common plant is the Fireweed. Unmolested these will cover acres, their tall silhouette rising above surrounding grasses and plants . The lavender-pink flowers are nectar laden and very popular with bees. Fireweed honey is delicious.

Turning a corner on this forest road …
an inviting window.


Unfortunately I had only my cell phone camera so the sky is washed out. Why no camera? Well the one I have with me broke so the little door that keeps the batteries in won’t stay closed unless wrapped with a rubber band which interferes with the zoom control. I’m shopping for a new one, and am frustrated. The size of camera I like is now going with lithium batteries and I prefer AA since they are quickly replaced while flying and available everywhere.

Been flying? Sure. Made a trip up to Bremerton for dinner. Exciting this flight is not, since I’ve made it so many times, but the food is excellent, and I never tire of the view. My son was with me, his first since our rough flight home over the Frank Church Wilderness when he had announced “never again.” My heart soared when he agreed to a dinner flight and once on our way, sighed and said “It’s good to be in the air again.”

3 comments:

  1. Wow, take a flight to go out to dinner. What a life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that your son is back in the cockpit. It was always a challenge for me to get family interested in flying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That jelly sounds delicious! Fireweed is one of my favorite wildflowers...Here we used to have a brilliant orange called Butterfly weed..but with all the roadside cutting it is almost obliterated--Glad you got to spend some quality time with your son!

    ReplyDelete