Friday, June 3, 2011

I Made it to - FREEDOM Day!


I’m counting down the hours sitting here at my desk for the last time. 14 years. Some of being here was good. Some not so good. Some was downright horrible. All of it is in the past, except for the memories of the friends I made and the good days. Surprisingly there is a bit of nostalgia, but I’m sure it will wear off about 4:00 PM.

My retirement party (with Costco carrot cake) will be over. The well-wishes will be ringing in my ears as I drive the 6 minutes directly to the airport where my faithful Path sits loaded and ready to go.

Two friends and I – in separate planes as we're all anxious to FLY, are departing for Eastern Washington to attend the Martin Field (S95) Fly-in. First we head south to Scappoose (SPB) to load up on cheap fuel at $5.20. Then east following the Columbia River Gorge. My two friends have never flown The Gorge and I’ve not done the entire Gorge going East, so will be flight leader and baggage hauler. But that is enough about this trip, for now. I’ll tell the whole story after it happens.

It’s 10:00 and the day is going by so fast. People are coming by with cards and gifts! I didn’t expect that. I think there are going to be tears.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, tears! Mix great happiness with sadness and you get tears. Congratulations as you go forward into the next stage of life. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! A lot more time for flying :)

    Your comment on price of Avgas got me thinking about back in the mid 70's when I was running a small flight training program and aircraft rental business, as a semi hobby. When the price was reaching close to $1.00, the hangar group was moaning about the end of general aviation. Little did any of us imagine the cost today.

    I feel less sorry for myself with diesel for the motorhome still at just below four dollars a gallon and I get a whooping 8 miles to the gallon.

    Have a great time in your retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the last picture! Congratulations, and hope I get to meet up with you sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...its finally happening!! My sister had last day at work on Tuesday everyone is retiring--I have 4 yrs to go--Cant wait to hear about the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your liberation and have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Major congrats are in order - hope the flying went well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a milestone! Congratulations and enjoy that lovely trip up the Columbia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow congrats!! Now you can fly even more and show us beautiful pictures :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Joycee! Freedom, indeed. When you settle please give me your address so I know where you will be! Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!!!

    Enjoy YOUR time, I am so envious!

    ReplyDelete