Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year of Adventure Begins

Number One. Intergalactic Bi-Plane.

After long weeks of dark, wet, dripping NW winter the sun came out. Yippeee! January 1, 2011. Temps in the teens, but I’m not complaining. Path, however, does not like to start when it’s cold. I nearly gave up, had to re-charge his battery, but finally – success. Up into the crystalline air with visibility over 100 miles. Ed is with me again, and we’re going north along the eastern edge of the Olympic Range, following Hood Canal to the NE corner of the Olympic Peninsula. We count mountain peaks on the way and even though I’ve seen them thousands of times, marvel at their majesty. At Jefferson County airport we enjoy lunch at the Spruce Goose Cafe, managing to grab the last empty table. Note for local pilots: The renovations are not huge, but the new deck includes a wind screen that does not block the view and should help keep lunch from blowing away. Ladies: The new bathroom is good.

A different route is selected for homeward – down the west side of the Olympic Range, which Ed has never seen. Oh, and see it we did. The light was just right (3:30 pm) The air was glass so I flew right in among the peaks. I’ve put a few photos here, but they truly do not convey what our eyes beheld.

CloseCloser

At home, I eagerly downloaded the photos and found this unexplained extra which to me looks like a golden Bi-Plane. Since I know Path was the only plane up there, I dubbed it not UFO, but Intergalactic Bi-Plane, thus identified!


Flight time: to Lunch 83 nm (nautical miles) – 40 minutes.
Home via Olympics: 149 nm – 1.5 hours

5 comments:

  1. Wwow---off into the Wild Blue--
    Amazing photos--and what a surprise you must have had when you saw that bi-plane in the last shot---
    You are so right the light was perfect for photos!!! Happy New Yr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you manage to fly and get those great pictures out the window. Or was Ed hanging off the wing? :-D Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scenery! Ya sure don't see that down here in Texas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it has been a while since I stopped by. I love the photos of the range. We were in a "puddle jumper" between Seattle and Portland, and saw the west side of the range last June. It was amazing. Love the mountains, any range, any time. The light in these photos is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete