Thursday, December 9, 2010

Roosts

We fly over and spot them as waypoints as we travel. We touch down and visit for a rest break, fuel, or to visit for an hour or a day. We call our roosts airports and they are very special places.

Gateways to adventure.
Orcas Island, San Juans.


Places we land to camp where others cannot.

Cavanaugh Bay, Priest Lake ID

Daybreak, WA

Enjoy a meal while watching planes come and go.

Flying M, OR. Favorite brunch spot!

Opportunities to meet new people, visit friends and family.

Thompson Falls, MT. Love this place.

Each airport offers its own challenge, be it wind, terrain, length/condition of runway or heavy traffic.

At the end of a long trip coming home, the sight of that strip of concrete, patch of grass or that welcoming beacon at night say “Here I am, come home and Roost.”



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post!! I know it must feel good to see those roosts waiting below--THE world is your Oyster girl!! Have you ever flown into Alaska? When I made my Alaska travel plans there were so MANY ads for Bush Plane trips...but my budget didnt allow for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Dixxe, I've not been to Alaska. It's on my list though. A difficult and sometimes dangerous place to fly, so I'm getting my ducks in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i came across your blog by pure chance and am enjoying it! i used to fly into thompson falls when i lived in kalispell. great shots!

    fly safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Paddy. Where do you fly now?

    ReplyDelete