Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thousands of Steps

In September I started walking. My first walk was under 2 miles and my legs and feet hurt, a lot. I was, however, determined to get into better shape so I could enjoy hikes to beautiful places (thanks Diana).

I live out in the country and there are few roads to walk along safely, and no walking paths. With limited options, I came up with a method. Pick a road and walk until tired, then call my husband to come and retrieve me. No need to gauge how far back home is, how far I’ve traveled.

With each subsequent walk I increased the distance, and soon discomfort was no longer an issue. On days when after work obligations prevented a walk, I missed the exercise! Could I be hooked on hoofing? Soon I ran out of daylight before being done, so purchased a safety vest and an LED headlamp so drivers could see me. With rainy season upon us, I bought a 2-piece rain suit. It’s bright orange and very stylish.

I started picking routes that were longer, that included hills – long steep ones. I was determined to make 5 miles without aches and pains, and doing so at a brisk pace. I managed 4.6, 4.8 and several at 4.9 but kept missing that elusive five. Then one day there it was – 5.9, almost a mile past my goal. Yippee!

I’m now doing 4 miles on those nights when it’s really dark and wet and cold. On weekends or nicer evenings 5 miles is usual and my new goal is 6. My doctor was making noises about elevated blood pressure, but last week she was amazed by the positive change. Walking is my health plan. I intend to enjoy a long healthy retirement. Right now, I'm going walking.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm really impressed - great job! You are much better than I am - I find it hard to walk without a fantastic destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL...I am also impressed! I love to walk and here Im so lucky Im surrounded by dirt roads perfect for walking..Im like Diana in some respects I enjoy a destination, but I also have to walf for my health as much as possible!! I love to swim but have no pool so...WISH LIST is as big as BUCKET LIST around here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO great! Walking is something that takes a little time getting use to, but you did it! Sweet!
    I, luckily, live somewhat close to mountains, so I treat myself to a hike every chance I get! I am actually going tomorrow! Check my FB page for pictures!

    Miki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's wonderful. If I'm not on a specific hike, I'm afraid I only go 2 miles. That's interesting about the blood pressure. I don't have that problem, but have noticed that my cholesterol is better if I walk more. It truly is the wonder drug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed and envious! Wow...keep it up woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and praise. We all need those pats on the back.

    ReplyDelete