Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Goal

Two years ago, I started on a goal - to land at every airport in Washington State. This would not include private strips where permission is not given, or airports I consider unsafe for either my plane or my skills as a pilot.

Late last month, we had one of those days that usually arrive in February with severe clear. I invited a co-worker and headed east. With 3 airports practically on top of each other in the Tri-Cities area I saw an opportunity to increase airport count quickly. Vista Field (S98) our first stop, is a nice field, located directly across the Columbia from Tri-Cities (PSC) and just southeast of Richland (RLD). Vista offers easy access to pilot lounge, and is a pleasant walk to shopping and restaurants. At Richland, I didn't stay long enough to check out facilities, just landed, took a photo, and took off for PSC. This towered field has multiple runways, light jet commuter traffic, and is easy in and out. Tower was helpful and welcoming. We took a lunch break in the terminal - decent food, interesting view of arriving and departing jets. On the way back to Chehalis, my friend indicated an interest in St. Helens so we took a close look. Winds were light, air smooth. A perfect flying day in every way. Sharing aviation with others always enhances the flight.

This past Saturday the weather was again ideal, so I took a close look at Ranger Creek (21W), not to land but to plan for the future. This field is in a steep, narrow, valley and I've decided not to go until another pilot can go along to provide another set of eyes.

Leaving Ranger Creek, I flew to the northeast over Snoqualmie Pass, where I took this photo of Lake Keechelus.
I then descended and continued east to make a first visit to Cle Elum (S93) then a 5 minute flight to De Vere (2W1). Neither airport has any facilities (bathroom) or fuel. I was however, greeted on the radio and provided parking advice at De Vere. Also told the field is officially private, but open to the public, and a landing fee of $5.00 is appreciated. Cle Elum was re-surfaced last year, De Vere is a bit rough, but not overly so. If your looking for a quiet place to take a break or have lunch, these are good fields.

I was surprised to find Ranger Creek's runway clear of snow, and in fact the lack of snow generally is something I noted on both recent flights over the Cascades.

Heading home, I decided to fly low following Snoqualmie Pass.
This photo shows the highway going west. Please note that the route here is not what you might think. Be sure to make a sharp left over the ski-runs to follow the pass. Oh, I do dearly love flying among our mountains. So beautiful, so inspiring, so refreshing to my soul.

Total airports added: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment